My Photo
Name:
Location: India

I claim Nothing here ..read at your own risk!!!!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

School Days- 1

It was an afternoon of the first week in class 10th and Ms.Farmida, our class teacher was to announce what groups everyone belonged to… Madhu looked at me from the other corner of the Classroom …and I Looked back at her ………….both of us were thinking the same thing .. At least this year we should be in the same group….being in the same group meant fun , do assignments together, No competitions for Poem reciting , pick and speech, Culturals………….we could be together all the time.

"Which Group " was the hot topic during lunch break that afternoon…, Smithu kept praying that she should not be in the same group as I , because that meant trouble…. This year I would be leading whatever group I would be in………..so all the younger class girls who belonged to the same group had to work together during cultural day ……she was tired of my bullying at home…not any more at school………

At Lunch,Madhu's younger sister Shubha asked, "Maduakka, which group do you want to be in", Madhu smiled and said…whatever group Pree is in….We should be together……We hugged each other and smiled….
Shubha turned to me and asked "what group you want to be in"…."Sunflower"…I had no second thoughts…….
Bluebells, Roses, Lotus, Lillies, Jasmine….I never liked any of those groups…or flowers…….I liked sunflower……….






Imagining Sunflowers always brought a smile…….may be because as a kid I have seen sunflower fields on the way to Kerala during our summer vacations…those long bus journeys to Ammamma's place….. I would be awake till I saw those sunflower fields and then I would fall asleep and would wake up seeing Acha untying the water bottle that was hung to the seat and amma pulling out the luggage from the rack above my head…..
Do not know if it’s a coincidence….. Sunflowers have been around all the time in my life…………..
The prayer song that I loved in my school had sunflowers in it ……
"Like a sunflower,
that follows every moment of the sun…..
so I turn towards you, to follow you , my Lord"……….I loved when Sister Canesia sang that song in the chapel…
The first painting I did was of a sunflower, I had sunflower shaped hairclips, How I loved them…..
The first birthday card I got from a friend (Madhuri) in class 3rd was of a sunflower, I could go on….
First bunch of flowers that I got from someone I thought was special was of sunflowers……and now I have in my living room a flowerpot filled with sunflowers made of cloth ……I don’t have to worry and fear that they will dry some day…
And wait don't I even cook with sunflower oil……..:)

Coming back to that hot afternoon when we waited to know which group we belonged to ……it was the last period of the day, and we were all made to count numbers from 1 to 6, and it was my turn now, "2" I called out……….and after sometime it was Madhus turn, "3" she called out.
I knew it already, Lavanya was absent that day, if she was present, I should have been "3" too…………..
Everyone finished calling out the numbers , now Ms Formida said to the class, All 1's Roses, All 2's Sunflowers, all 3's Lilles, all 4's Bluebells………………. Again this year, I and Madhu were not in the same group………
There was lot of hush hush in the Class, then mam said, Roses …… Tracy would be the head, bluebells………Nidhi would be the head, Lillies……Madhu would be the head, Sunflower....... Preetha would be the head……… All the leads were given badges with their respective flower symbol…

Again, Madhu looked at me from the other corner of the room and I looked at her back………..were we happy or sad………it was a mixed emotions…….I did get into the sunflower group again, But my best friend was not in my group………..






The long bell rang and we packed our heavy bags and stepped out of the class room. Waved Annamma Chechi a good bye and walked towards the cycle stand holding each others hand..……..
Both of us did not speak….When we reached the cycle stand Madhu Whispered in my ears, We would be in the same group in college………we will be….and we smiled…….


Smithu came running to me and said………"Chech, am in "Sunflower Group, and You will be our leader ………." I hugged her and took her bag and hung it on the handle and pulled out my "Hero Hansa"…….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home